In case you missed it, the two governors had a war of words last week which culminated in Brown challenging Christie to a 3-mile race. Courtesy of the Huffington Post San Francisco feature “Jerry Brown Challenges Chris Christie to Three-Mile Race”, Brown responded to Christie’s characterization of the California Governor as an old retread with the following:
“There’s nothing wrong with being a little retread…. I’ve slowed down a little bit,… But I have to tell you, I ran three miles in 29 minutes two nights ago. And I hereby challenge Governor Christie to a three-mile race, a push-up contest and a chin-up contest. Whatever he wants to bet, I have no doubt of the outcome.”
I am sure much of the American voting public would pay good money to see that fitness challenge! My money is on the 74-year-old and very FIT Governor Brown. As he summed it up so fittingly, he’d rather be old than unfit! Could not have said it better myself, Mr. Brown. I still would love to see the 3-mile challenge race though. It has pay-per-view classic written all over it. Stay tuned…
This brazen political fitness challenge from Governor Brown got me to thinking which of our politicians are the fittest ~ a perfect segue for the 1st annual Seacoast Fitness Daly Poll – “The Top 10 Fittest Politicians.”
All fitness precincts have finally reported in, and after exhaustive research (and we promise NO back room deals), here are the Seacoast Fitness Daly poll results for ‘The Top 10 Fittest Politicians” (and their VETO Power Workouts):
- SCOTT BROWN ~ U.S. Senator (R-MA): Senator Brown is serious about health and fitness and staying in shape. He played college basketball at Tufts (scored 1,000 points), was team co-captain, rides in the Pan Mass Challenge (PMC) charity bike ride every summer, and works out at the gym regularly. Senator Brown does it all when it comes to fitness and sports. His VETO “Power Workout” is Triathlon training. Senator Brown plays hoops, does triathlons, runs 5Ks and half-marathons, rides in the PMC every summer, and plays hoops in the driveway with his daughters? How can he not be #1? AND he’s a proud Bruins fan (and drives a truck)!
- JEAN SCHMIDT ~ U.S. Congresswoman/Rep. (R-OH): Congresswoman Schmidt is one of the fittest and healthiest politicians on Capitol Hill or in any state house. Like Forrest Gump, she just keeps running and running to stay fit, but will occasionally mix in some weight training and swim workouts. She runs every morning for at least 5 miles, as early as 4am, whether at home in Ohio or in D.C. Schmidt is a marathon runner par excellence. You guessed it, her VETO “Power Workout” is running and training for marathons. She has run 88 marathons, including Boston 13 times. Senator Brown just edges Congresswoman Schmidt by a nose for first place. (This poll is a sprint, not a marathon).
- AARON SCHOCK ~ U.S. Congressman/Rep. (R-IL): Congressman Schock fully embraces health and fitness as part of his daily lifestyle and wants you to as well. He is an avid runner and usually heads out for a morning 5-miler around D.C. AFTER his gym workout. Schock is super fit and does not mind setting the fitness example for others as a politician, “I think if you want to start talking about healthy lifestyles and staying in shape, then you yourself should do your best to try to be a model, an example to people you’re trying to convince to do the same.” His VETO “Power Workout” is Tony Horton’s P90X which starts his day at 6:30am at the House gym. Schock’s fitness regimen is quite impressive but being tabbed the “RIPPED REPRESENTATIVE” by Men’s Health magazine knocks him down a notch or two in our poll.
- PAUL RYAN ~ U.S. Congressman/Rep. & V.P. Nominee (R-WI): Congressman Ryan is dedicated and passionate about a healthy lifestyle and fitness. Running, weight training, swimming and tennis are just some of the fitness activities Congressman Ryan partakes in to stay super-fit and healthy. After recent reports like this one from the L.A. Times (“Paul Ryan exaggerates his marathon-running prowess”), we are still unsure about his marathon running ability, but we do know we has run at least one marathon – an impressive fitness achievement regardless! Bonus fitness points were earned when Congressman Ryan showed up at a Ohio State Football tailgate and played cornhole (or bags) with the Buckeye fans AND showed very good form. He’s got cornhole game too ~ good follow through and focus. HIS VETO “Power Workout” is Tony Horton’s P90X which he does every morning at home, in D.C. or anywhere out on the campaign trail.
- BARACK OBAMA ~ The President of the United States (D-IL): President Obama is just a pure athlete and loves to workout and play all kinds of sports. He runs, does some P90X workouts with his wife, Michelle (and word is with the Secret Service crew too), plays tennis, and keeps himself very fit, not too shabby for being the leader of the free world and running for reelection! His VETO “Power Workout” is hoops. The President is a big time baller and has some serious skills and plays cutthroat pick-up hoops games down in D.C., back in Chicago, and all over the U.S. Wherever there’s a game, the President is more than game and apparently is a beast on the boards! And he’s one tough hard-court hombre too. He took a hard elbow to the eye and had to get stitches last year, from a pick-up hoops game during his lunch break. Gotta love that. The President plays through, keeps fit and moves FORWARD. – [*N.B.: The First Lady would give anyone on this poll a real run for their fitness money. Michelle Obama is passionate about maintaining a healthy and fit lifestyle and works out every day with Horton’s P90X Beachbody program!]
- KEVIN JOHNSON ~ Mayor of Sacramento (D-CA): Mayor Johnson (“KJ”) enjoyed a highly successful 12-year career in the NBA, was a three-time NBA All-Star, a four-time second team All-NBA selection, and still holds numerous records for the Phoenix Suns. Mayor Johnson keeps fit by running, working out in the gym, and playing the occasional game of tennis or golf. His VETO “Power Workout” is, as you can guess, some pick-up hoops around Sacramento. Yeah “KJ” can lead a major U.S. city and could probably still run the point for an NBA team too. Here, here.
- SARAH PALIN ~ Governor of Alaska (R-AK): Governor Palin is an avid runner and used to run 7-10 miles every day. Reportedly, she currently runs about 3 miles every other day and adds in weekly aerobics classes and some weight training at the local gym or hits the dumbbell circuit at home. Her VETO “Power Workout”, which she credits for her upper body strength, is snowmobiling. As the Governor puts it, “It’s the best upper body workout you could ever have” while “maneuvering through hundreds of pounds of powder.” The Alaskan POW gives Governor Palin her fitness POWER.
- KELLY AYOTTE ~ U.S. Senator (R-NH): Senator Ayotte is an avid runner and cyclist. In Ayotte’s famous TV campaign ad, she was featured running through the trails near her NH home, talking how much she loved to stay fit and to run. You gotta love that campaign approach. In all polls and in all races, fitness wins! Her VETO “Power Workout” is trail running near her Nashua, NH home. Senator Ayotte is fit and a seasoned runner. Ok, yeah, she gets a bit of (NH) Seacoast Fitness favoritism from the pollsters.
- JERRY BROWN ~ Governor of California (D-CA): At 74, Governor Brown maintains a dedicated fitness regimen which includes biking, swimming, horseback riding, some yoga and weight training. (With Arnold serving before him, apparently you have to be super-fit and healthy to be Governor of California. Fitness rules in the Golden state.) Consider this ~ Governor Brown is still running a 9:00 minute mile pace (for 3 miles) at age 74! Need we say more? HIS VETO “Power Workout” is running, and apparently he’s a pretty good 5K runner. Watch out Chris Christie!
- JOHN KERRY ~ U.S. Senator (D-MA): Senator Kerry keeps is an avid sportsman and maintains a very healthy and active lifestyle through a variety of activities and sports. He is a skilled yachtsman, an avid biker, enjoys running and weight training, and is passionate and skilled tennis player. The senior Senator from Mass. is one of the fittest and most athletically active U.S. Senators. Bet you did not know ~ Senator Kerry’s VETO “Power Workout” is pickup ice hockey. Yup, he goes to Capitol Hill hard for his constituents and to the corners hard for the puck! Kerry has played ice hockey for many years, typically in the forward/right-wing position. And yes he will come across center ice.